- The total population of New Zealand in 1914 was just over one million.
- In all, more than 120,000 New Zealanders enlisted, and around 103,000 served overseas.
- More than 2200 Maori and around 460 Pacific Islanders served overseas with the New Zealand forces.
- 11 Victoria Crosses were won by soldiers serving with New Zealand forces.
- At least 3370 New Zealanders served in the Australian or British imperial forces, winning a further five Victoria Crosses.
- In all, 550 nurses served with the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, and many others enlisted in the United Kingdom.
- Around 18,500 New Zealanders died in or because of the war, and about 41,000 were wounded. More than 2700 died at Gallipoli and almost 12,500 on the Western Front.
- The names of those who died are recorded on approximately 500 civic war memorials throughout New Zealand.